Last year, I decided our family would participate in the American Heart Association's Heart Walk. It made sense, not only because of our personal experience with heart disease, but my employer is the event's main sponsor, and a lot of the people who played a role on that crucial day in 2010 when Alivia needed an echocardiogram are a part of the event as well. Why NOT support them?
Participating in such things is a little tough, because you are acknowledging that this illness is a part of your life. I imagine it's how cancer patients feel about Relay for Life, or how those with multiple sclerosis feel about the MS Walk. Though you are uniting with others to help raise awareness and funds to battle a significant cause, a part of you wishes you had nothing to do with it.
Last year, I was pleasantly surprised that, with the help of family, friends and coworkers, we smashed my meager fundraising goal and brought in more than $700. The event itself was a great day, and I knew it'd be something we do again this year.
When it came time to plan for this year's walk, I became involved right away and began attending team captains' meetings at work. At the first meeting I attended, one of the other captains, who knows Alivia's story, asked me to share it with the group. I suppose they were as touched by her story as most people are, so later on the walk's organizers asked if our family would help promote the event if any media outlets wanted to tell Alivia's story.
The local daily paper expressed interest, and last Monday, our 3-year-old had her 15 minutes of fame - on the front page! It was a fun day - we heard a lot of positive, uplifting comments from those who read her story and saw her sweet smile. Again, publishing her story meant acknowledging how real her situation is, but Alivia's health journey is a significant storyline in our family's ongoing novel and I can't pretend it's not there. It's shaped us in all ways, from the inside out, and all for the better, so I just need to be a big girl and get over it. :)
The walk's organizers also asked if Alivia would be one of the ribbon cutters at the walk. Alivia wasn't keen on doing it without Tyler's help, so once she knew he could help her, she was excited. On the day of the event (yesterday), we waited for the emcees to introduce her right before the walk stepped off. She was in a MOOD the entire morning, so I was afraid of how it all would go, but once they said her name and she heard it, she perked up as we walked to the stage and was so excited to have heard her name. The room all said a collaborative "aw" as we walked up, and as the speaker explained how well she's doing today after suffering heart failure, the room erupted in applause for her. An entire ballroom clapping for MY daughter. Though so very brief, it was such a sweet, memorable moment.
And more good news: As of yesterday, our team had raised $1,500!!! I'm SO humbled that so many want to help our family in this cause. And I'm so glad that we can use this event to celebrate Alivia's healing and help to provide hope to others who need it.
![]() |
| Alivia barely smiled all morning, but then totally perked up when cousin Nate arrived! |
| Ribbon cutters! |
| It was a soggy day. But we walked anyway! |
| Part of our Heart Walk team. We had lots of family support, and some friends stopped by too! |





the people who played a role on that crucial day, I Need Help With My Homework when Alivia needed an echocardiogram are a part of the event as well.
ReplyDelete