Tuesday, June 21, 2011

This Week's Deal & Dish

No super-great deals to report this week, but I'm slacking big time. The weekend was so busy that I didn't put a ton of effort into my grocery trip, but I did manage to spend just $30 on food for the week while shopping on 4 hours of sleep. Yay!
My mealplan for the week involved using stuff around the house, including a big bag of frozen chicken I bought for $4 off two weeks ago and is enough for three meals, and a chuck roast I bought last week for $3.40, so there was no meat on my grocery ticket this week. Big money saver.

Last week I scored a mini deal at Walgreens - a box of brownie mix and three Crunch bars for 90 cents total! I used two coupons: a Register Rewards coupon I received at a prior purchase for $1 off practically anything in the store, which I used for my on-sale 99-cent box of brownies; and a buy 2 get 1 free coupon that I printed from coupons.com on Crunch bars that already were on sale for 39 cents apiece. My total should have been more like 78-79 cents, but one of the candy bars rang up 50 cents. I didn't notice until later, and I'm not about to argue over 11 cents.

Best deal of the week: an 18-ounce bottle of Caress body soap for $1.25 at Target. Original price was an already low $2.99. I printed a coupon from Target.com that saved me $1, and I also used a coupon I cut from the Sunday paper several weeks ago that saved me an additional 75 cents. At this price, I paid half of what I would have for a generic soap!

Frugal dish of the week: For Father's Day, Tyler and I created a huge ice cream cake for Andrew that combined his two favorites: Oreos and mint chocolate chip ice cream. It cost me about $9 and will last us most of the week. Andrew keeps saying it's as good, if not better, than a store-bought ice cream cake.

Poor Man's Ice Cream Cake
1 bag Oreos ($2.75)
1/3 stick of butter, softened
1/2 gallon of your favorite ice cream ($2.50)
1 jar of chocolate fudge ice cream topping ($2)
1 tub of Cool Whip ($1.50)

In a food processor, combine about 25 Oreos and the softened butter until a nearly sandy texture. Spread into a 9x13 pan that has a lid and can go in the freezer. Let ice cream soften a bit and spread over Oreo crust so it's even. Poor/spread chocolate topping over ice cream. Cover with Cool Whip. Crush up 2-3 extra Oreos left in the bag (if you haven't eaten them all!) and sprinkle over Cool Whip. Cover and freeze overnight! Let thaw a few minutes before you cut and serve.


Not the prettiest thing once you dig in, but it's GREAT! 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You are so resourceful! That cake sounds great! Have you seen the extreme couponing show? Your double coupons made me think about it. I news to be more aware of this. Glad you're blogging about this; it's interesting!

    ReplyDelete