Sunday, August 12, 2012

38-week Bump

We've made it to 38 weeks!

Considering Tyler was born at 37 weeks, 6 days, I'm now in what I consider "any day now" mode, which is both exciting and frightening - especially frightening when you consider my first major symptom of labor with both kids was my water breaking and I'm still working. I'm definitely one of those women who are fearful their water will break somewhere embarassing! I leave every meeting with a major sigh of relief.

Feeling: I feel 9 months pregnant. I can tell my body and the baby are both getting ready for labor. I don't have a ton of contractions each day, but they are scattered throughout. And things just hurt - to walk, move in bed, etc. Physically, I'm DONE! And mentally, I'm ready. I have enough work completed so that I feel OK if I don't show up the next day, and things are in order well enough at home that I feel completely ready for the next step.

Baby prep: I bought two new outfits for each gender, have packed my bag and the baby's and bought far too many gifts for Alivia and Tyler (books for the hospital and something to play with when we get home). Andrew has cleaned the house and assembled various things. We still need a boy's name; it's been a real challenge!

Doc appts: On Tuesday, things looked really good. I was 2cm dilated and 70% effaced, so at least I know my body is moving in the right direction (and will have to do less work during actual labor). I go again Wednesday. Not sure if we'll talk about inducing at 39 weeks (Aug. 19) or not, considering my fast labors. Andrew seems to be convinced this will be another fast birth, which has ME freaked out. But I'm not in love with the idea of an induction, so...we'll see.

Most importantly, with all the stress I've had to get things done now melting away, I've been able to focus on the biggest part of this journey - the baby! I'm finally ready enough to get excited about holding him/her, getting to know him/her and seeing Tyler and Alivia interact with their new sibling, among much more.

I'd love to meet this baby as soon as possible, though I'm thinking it'd be ideal if she/he waited until after Wednesday. Tyler's first day of school is that day, and I might be devastated if I missed that! So far, our guesses for delivery dates are:

Andrew - Aug. 14
My mom - Aug. 18
Me - Aug. 19
My brother - Aug. 24

It'd be nice not to go too far past 39 weeks, don't you agree? :)

1 comment:

  1. hAPPY bIRTHDAY to your little girl and congrats on your new baby to be! I've been away from blogger for awhile...talk soon.

    ReplyDelete