Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Bribes and Negotiations


Living with a 2-year-old is really fun, and very frustrating. And it all has to do with them having a mind of their own and knowing how to use it in sneaky, smart ways. Don't let those innocent faces fool you - they are smart little devils.

So, it's safe to say we resort to bribes now and then to get Tyler to do something positive - like, staying in the grocery cart, or getting into the car within 3 hours' time before daycare, or trying a food he's convinced he doesn't like. The key bribes in our house are the almighty powerful fruitsnacks and, lately, chocolate milk. There's nothing this child won't do for a glass of cool, chocolately milky goodness.

Until tonight.

With Andrew traveling for work, I've just been using up ingredients we've had in the house. Tonight's dinner was a very tasty bacon-eggs-and-cheese dish (I mean, who doesn't like cheesy eggs and bacon?). Tyler drank his half-glass of bribe-free chocolate milk, ate around his eggs and then asked for more chocolate milk.

Me: "Not until you take a bite of egg."

Him: "I will eat it ... but I don't wanna eat it." (Nice full sentence, eh?)

And then he didn't eat it. I told him there'd be no chocolate milk, and he was fine with that. Sheesh, did the eggs look THAT bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment